« Nominees for American Dialect Society Word of the Year | Main | Wonder Land »

January 06, 2014


Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

"The Rhinoceros," by Michael Flanders and Donald Swann, calls the animal's horn "the bodger on the bounce."

In British English,bodgery might be obsolete but bodge isn't. A "bodge job" is used especially for incompetent general contractors who might be called "Bodgit and Scarper".

I understood (from a chair bodger) that bodging was a technical term for turning poles to make decorative chair-parts; and that it refers to using a bent pole (still attached to its roots) as a whipping device to pull a cord wrapped around a lathe to turn the chair parts (a "pole lathe".
I'm surprised no dictionary you consulted would mention this.
Mr Google knows about it.
Perhaps amateur bodgers were bad at it, hence: bodged or botched job.

"The bodger on the bonce" is the correct spelling. For some explanation of "bonce", which also refers to the song, see Michael Quinion's discussion at http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bon2.htm

The comments to this entry are closed.


  • Pinterest
    Follow Me on Pinterest
My Photo

My Web Site

Top 25 Language Language Professional Blogs 2014
Top 25 Language Professionals Blogs 2012
Top 25 Language Professionals Blogs 2011
Top 10 Language Professionals Blogs 2010
Top 100 Language Blogs 2009

Your email address:

Powered by FeedBlitz

Bookmark and Share


Top 25 Language Language Professional Blogs 2014